A Ledger Nano S is a hardware wallet. Hardware wallets are considered very secure for the storage of a user’s private keys in the blockchain world. Your digital assets are safe even when using an infected (or untrusted) PC. Follow these instructions to interact with the Terra blockchain using a Ledger Nano device.
- You have initialized your Ledger Nano S
- The latest firmware is installed
- Ledger Live is ready to use
- Google Chrome is installed.
To do this, it is preferable to use a brand new ledger device as there can be only one mnemonic per ledger device.
If, however, you want to use a ledger that is already initialized with a seed, you can reset it by going in
Please note that this will wipe out the seed currently stored on the device. If you have not properly secured the associated mnemonic, you could lose your funds!
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger Nano S.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device by pressing the right button.
- Find Terra in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing…
- The app installation is confirmed.
Before we can configure the Ledger Nano S to interact with the Terra blockchain, we need the following:
- Generating new keys or recovering fundraiser keys from a ledger device
- Creating an account using a ledger device
- A running
terradinstance connected to the network you wish to use.
terracliinstance configured to connect to your chosen
Now, you are all set to start sending and receiving transactions on the network.
Use the Ledger with the CLI
Your ledger device must be on and the Terra ledger app must be in the foreground to perform the following actions.
How to view account balance
You can use
terracli to view the account balance, using the key created in the above step.
How to receive tokens
terracli keys show <yourAccountName> -d to see the account address at which to receive tokens. You will be asked to confirm that the intended receiving address (matching
<yourAccountName>) matches the account registered on the ledger. If the two addresses match, press the right button to confirm, and offer the address to the sender. If they do not match, press the left button to reject.
How to send tokens
- You can use
terraclito send tokens, using the key created in the above step.
- You will be asked to confirm the details of the transaction. Before confirming, check that the destination address on the Ledger display matches your intended destination address.
Please speak to us on our public discord group to drop us a line if you run into problems in setup or usage of the Ledger device.